Friday, September 4, 2009

Restaurant Review: Main Kabab Hut

Main Kabab Hut:
219 E49 Ave
Vancouver, BC

I had heard about this place from a number of my friends recently, and since I was in the neighborhood, decided to try it out for dinner.

The restaurant is essentially, a 'hole in the wall' kind of place... very tiny, with only 3 tables, and a kitchen directly behind the counter. Essentially, the restaurant specializes in North Indian/Pakistani non-vegetarian cuisine, including Biryani, Nehare, BBQ and Kebab.

My friends who had been there all raved about the Chicken Biryani in particular, so I decided to give it a shot. I didn't have to wait very long, since the place was practically empty, save for one other customer, probably because most people were fasting due to Ramazan... the cost for a plate is $8.00

The food was very good, no complaints. But to be honest... not spectacular. I have been to my Muslim friends houses on Eid, and quite frankly, that Biryani was better... the mothers touch was missing I suppose. However, having said that, this Biryani was also quite authentic, and better than that which would be found at more expensive restaurants. I was very impressed by the quantity, as I was barely able to finish the plate. The Biryani also came with a small bowl of Raita, which was a nice touch to aid digestion after consuming all that masala. Considering the portions, and reasonable price, I do recommend anyone who is in the area and craving some non-veg to drop in and sample some of the delicacies.


Service: 4/5

Ambiance/Location: 2/5

Food Quality: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment