Friday, September 4, 2009

What the puck?




I was sitting down yesterday scheming of ways to spend the ridiculously few dollars I have in my bank account... do I go to the U2 concert? Naah... not worth it. The Kailash Kher concert? Well, unfortunately, the concert falls right in the middle of Durga Puja, and I probably wouldn't be able to attend... then it occurred to me... I hadn't been to a Vancouver Canucks game for a while... I wonder how much tickets cost now?

Logged into the Canucks website, and was shocked... the prices for tickets in the nosebleed section are $55... imagine that, the CHEAPEST seats were $55. However, despite the insanely high prices, I am still seriously considering going, provided I can convince a few other of my friends who are as foolish as me to part with their money as well...

Why on EARTH am I even considering this? I have already done way too much travelling this year... both in and out of the province... and I really shouldn't be able to afford this. But what on EARTH is it that draws me to go to a game when I am not even sure if I am going to see my team put up a decent performance. Hockey doesn't have any cheerleaders, so its not as if I am going to get to go and stare at any cute girls to get my moneys worth...

The last game I went to was with my friend Mohit, and it was the first time he had been to a Canucks game. They were actually complimentary seats, and we had to work as 50-50 ticket vendors for the first period, so really, we only got to see half the game. But for that 1/2 he was absolutely mesmorized. For a while, I wasn't sure if I was the one who had been watching this game since I was a kid or him! We were perhaps 200 m away from the action, but we were roaring at every goal, groaning at every hit, and screaming at every opportunity possible. When a fight broke out, we felt like we wanted to jump over the boards and join in the melee!

The Canucks slogan is 'We are all Canucks'. For every Canucks fan, believe it or not, this is true. We live and die with our team. We treat the players like gods when they win, and curse them when they lose... and even if they lose year after year, we still come back to them the following year, because well... 'We are all Canucks'.

I don't know what it is about this game that has the capacity to unite a city together, or at the Olympic level, unite an entire country together. India has cricket, most of the world has soccer, and well, Canada has hockey... actually Canada IS hockey... we may not be the games superpower anymore, but without a doubt are the games most passionate followers. And I suppose the passion is what makes fools like me consider spending money on tickets which I really can't even afford...

On a sidenote, does anyone have $55 that I can borrow for ummm... textbooks next week? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment