Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fall in Vancouver...


September is almost here... the unofficial end of summer, and the beginning of fall. I used to absolutely DREAD this time of year in grade school, as it meant the end of holidays, sleeping in, and playing around all day. When I came to university, it started to matter less and less, as I usually used to work in the summers, and then when I came to grad school, then I had to work year around as a research assistant anyway...

Strangely, I started to appreciate the fall season more and more, after I got over the fear of the 'first day back to school'. Why? There are many reasons... firstly, I think Vancouver looks absolutely beautiful in the fall. The leaves begin to change color, and the weather usually stays fairly decent; minimal rain/no snow, so that you can still go out for a brisk walk and appreciate everything. Secondly, it is the Indian festival season. Now of course, it is celebrated here a fraction of how it would be celebrated in India, but it is still nice to see everyone with smiles on their faces, it gives friends and relatives an excuse to get back in touch and wish each other the best, and finally, most importantly, my mom goes into the kitchen and makes up some delicious sweets and snacks that we eagerly await year around. :P

Last year I wasn't able to appreciate the fall that much, as I was busy with alot of things going on in life... this year however, I plan to enjoy all out, and of course, since I am the UTSAV VP this year, there is the added bonus of helping to organize and then partying like crazy at Deepmala this year... hope everyone can join me!

2 comments:

  1. I would say fall is wonderful anywhere in Canada. I absolutely loved September in Toronto. If you drive a little bit north towards Barrie, the shades of orange/yellow/green are absolutely beautiful!

    I like more of Dec/Jan for Indian festival season. May be because Sankranthi (Pongal) was more important where I come from, and everybody needs little bit cheering up here in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my cousin lived in Toronto for a while, and she showed me some pictures they took from her trips, were actually very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete