Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Restaurant Review: Dakshin

Some people do movie reviews… some people do book reviews… being a food lover, I have decided that for this blog, I will provide the occasional restaurant review. First up:

Dakshin Hyderabadi Cuisine:
8077 King George Hwy
Surrey, BC

Dakshin is an Indian restaurant which opened up in Surrey about 6 months ago, but I hadn’t had the chance to drop in and try it out. Finally went with my parents on Sunday nite, and was pleasantly surprised.

The food is basically South Indian cuisine, but with more of an Hyderabadi twist, which means that much of the menu is in fact, non-vegetarian. Consequently, I decided to try the Lamb Thali, consisting of Biryani, Lamb Curry, Zucchini Sabji, Dal, Rasam, Pooris, Papadum, and a Gulab Jamun for dessert. The price was fairly reasonable, $11.95, and the proportions of food were quite filling.

As is standard with Andhra cuisine, the food is quite spicy. Personally, I love the spices, so it wasn’t a problem for me, but those with more sensitive tongues should probably keep that in mind and let the chef know before ordering.

The best part of the meal was by far the Biryani… the touch of Jaffran was absolutely heavenly, and I wish that they had served up a bit more Biryani as part of the Thali. I also found the Rasam to be quite good, as it wasn’t too salty, not too watery, and the squash pieces were a nice touch. I didn’t like the Dal too much, as I think I am a bit more used to having Sambar as part of a South Indian meal.

Overall, we were quite happy with the food, and the service was prompt and polite. It wasn’t quite the usual South Indian restaurant I was used to, (there were no Idlis, Uttapam, or Porota on the menu), and I wouldn’t recommend the place too highly if you are a vegetarian. However, for the rest of us, it’s definately worth checking out.

Service: 5/5
Ambiance/Location: 3/5
Food Quality: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. We were pleasantly surprised with Dakshin. We have been to 'Mayuri' (Veg) place by the same family couple of years ago. Having seen the 'Andhra' style of Mayuri, I didn't have much hope for Dakshin.

    But the food at Dakshin was really really good and authentic. Chicken 65 reminded me the days a decade ago! I hope they stick to this spicy-ness level and not ruin it trying to 'Canadianize' it.

    We are currently trying to wean ourselves off Dakshin after two consecutive weekends there.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... I kind of like Mayuri though! I didn't know it was owned by the same person.

    I am definately going to try the Chicken 65. I tried it once at House of Dosas and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mayuri actually have decent food. It is just that after finding an Andhra place after so many years, perhaps I had too high expectations. After all, I don't need to go there for daily stuff I make at home anyway.

    I don't think Mayuri showcases spl dishes of AP all that much. But then, I may just have to be content that I can hear some Telugu while dining there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha... actually I guess in general no restaurant here can match that authentic India taste!

    ReplyDelete