Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Europe Memoirs, Part 2: Sleeping Around

Original Publish Date: August 4, 2009

Get your heads out of the gutter people... this note is about the myriad of different places I stayed at/slept in during the Europe trip. From a farmers barn to a 4 star hotel, I did it all...

#1
Haus Justinus, Student Hostel, Zurich, Cost CHF 50/nite.

Haus Justinus
I was pleasantly surprised by this place... stayed in it during the conference itself. I was expecting a student hostel to be like Thunderbird, or even worse... Totem. But it was very clean, very quiet, and the breakfast buffet was absolutely to die for. I give it 4/5 stars.

#2
CKs Place, Lausanne, Cost CHF 0/nite.

CKs Place

Floor was a little hard... also, the pillow was kind of lumpy... ;)But jokes aside, CK, had a blast hanging out with you, and really appreciate you letting me crash at your place... sometimes comfort doesn't matter, and its about the people, and not the place. 5/5 stars.
#3
Hostel International, Berne and Lucerne, Cost CHF 45/nite.

Hostel International
By far the crappiest places I had to stay. Although both places were clean, the rooms were a bit smelly and muggy, and there was always someone snoring loudly. 2/5 stars.

#4
Village House Attic, Gimmelwald, Cost CHF 25/nite.
Village Attic

While in the tiny village of Gimmelwald, in the Swiss Alps, I found a place which the owner had converted into a bed and breakfast. While the individual rooms were quite expensive, he had converted the attic into a sort of dormitory with 4 cots on the floor. The nice thing was that the night I was there, the dorm was empty. The place was cool and clean, and the view out the window was mindblowing. One too many flys buzzing around though. 3/5 stars.

#5
Weiss Family Barn, Grindelwald, Cost CHF 25/nite.
Weiss Family Barn

The most adventerous place I stayed. Yes, I slept in a farmers barn. DDLJ anyone? Unfortunately no Kajol/Simran to dance around with all nite... The straw was actually too soft, and I think I got bit by a few insects... but hey, who cares... I slept in a barn. 3/5 stars.

#6
Mercure Airport Hotel, Amsterdam, Cost Euro 80/nite.
Mercure Hotel

I decided to shell out a few extra bucks and stay in a nice place for the last part of the trip. I was a complete stranger to the city, and given the state of many of the youth frequenting the Coffeehouses in the Red Light District at night, I think it was well worth spending the extra money to stay at a really comfortable place rather than cheaping out at and meeting some of these youth at 'Bobs Backpackers Hostel'. 5/5 stars.


#7
Bench at Heathrow Terminal 3, London, Cost Euro 0/nite.

Heathrow, Terminal 3

Running low on cash, and anxious to get home, my last nite in Europe was spend on an airport bench in London. Was actually quite chilly, and I wish I had my sleeping bag, or at least a blanket. However, the bench was quite comfortable, and the janitors were not the least bothered. 2/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment