Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Spicy Koffee

Last week I was watching an episode of the Indian Talk Show, 'Koffee with Karan', Season 3. The two guests for the episode were the gorgeous Deepika Padukone an the lovely Sonam Kapoor. In all honesty, I had never actually watched an entire episode on TV until last week. Before this I had only watched clips and bits online via YouTube. I must admit, of the various Indian talk shows, Koffee with Karan is definately the most entertaining. It seems his guests are more at ease on his show, and it seems as if they are more free and open to discuss all aspects of their life. This was illustrated quite nicely in the following clip (7:39):


And this was one of the reactions to this episode...

Hmmm... well, I must admit, as a guilty pleasure, I did find this episode amusing and entertaining. However, two things struck me... there is most definitely a difference in the way that this generation of actors and actresses deal with the media and the public. I could never have imagined anyone like Madhuri Dixit, Juhi Chawla, or Rani Mukherjee ever making such candid statements in an interview 15 years ago. And secondly, it makes me wonder about the kind of responsibility celebrities have to the public. While these two went on the show to enhance their popularity and promote their own movies, I wonder if at the same time they should try and set some sort of example for their followers? In particular, as Koffee with Karan is a show watched by family members of all ages, I was a bit surprised that Deepika and Sonam would make such 'interesting' statements, and how younger people might interpret their remarks. I am not advocating a morality police be instituted, but I kind of think celebrities should show a bit more common sense as to when and where they make certain remarks.



No comments:

Post a Comment