Saturday, June 26, 2010

Restaurant Review: Saravanaa Bhavan

Saravanaa Bhavan
955 W. Broadway
Vancouver, BC

Was feeling hungry on my way back to campus last Tuesday evening, in the mood for vegetarian, so I decided to convince a friend to join me for dinner at Saravanaa Bhavan restaurant. Have been here plenty of times, but this is my first blog review.

Saravanaa Bhavan is a well known chain spread throughout the world, with locations in Canada, the USA, Australia, Europe, Singapore, and India which serves authentic purely vegetarian South Indian food. Originally based out of Chennai, I had the good fortune of being able to eat at the original restaurants there, and must say the food was mouth numbingly good. I guess the local touch makes a difference.

The restaurant here is not quite as good as the one in Chennai, but is still most definately worth a visit. I am in fact more impressed by their non-dosa dishes. I think there are better places to get a dosa in Vancouver. However, the items like Uttapam, Idli, and Vadai are excellent. The Vancouver location has expanded its menu to include North Indian vegetarian dishes as well. The service that day was a bit poor, as we had come near closing time, and the waitress seemed to be in an off mood.

After much debate, my friend and I both decided to order the South Indian Thali, which gives you about as much food as you can possibly eat for $10. Rice, Pooris, Papadum, Sambar, Rasam, 2 Sabjis, Choley, Curd, Raita, and a Sweet Dish are served to you in steel vessels. For the first time in my life, I asked for a second helping of RASAM :S. I was pretty close this time, as only one of the Sabjis managed to survive the wrath of my rampaging stomach. I topped this off with a cup of filter coffee. If you think Starbucks, Blenz or Seattles Best is good coffee, you really need to try authentic South Indian Filter coffee, as it is simply amazing. I could write a separate blog on that alone.

Veg lovers rejoice, Saravanaa Bhavan was made for you.

Service: 3/5
Location/Ambiance: 3/5
Food: 4/5

2 comments: