Thursday, December 17, 2009

Restaurant Review: Ming Tak Hongkong Style Restaurant

Ming Tak Hongkong Style Restaurant
8363 Granville St.
Vancouver, BC

Okay, so this is probably a review with the longest restaurant name I will ever write...

Typically when I go out for Chinese, it will be to an 'Indian-Style' Chinese restaurant, with the food liberally seasoned with Indian Spices and Chillies... however, for a change, I agreed to go out with some friends for a more authentic Chinese experience.

The restaurant is located in South Vancouver, on Granville, in a fairly easy to reach area by car. We got there at 8PM, and for some reason the restaurant was totally empty... but perhaps this is because we went there on a Wednesday night. Consiquently, the service was very good, and the food arrived promptly as the waitress was not distracted with multiple orders.

I ordered a combo consisting of sweet + sour shrimp, chicken with mixed vegetables, rice, and a spring roll. For dessert, I ordered green tea ice cream, which I had never tried before.

Now, I am not too sure what the specialty of Hongkong style is, but to be honest, there didn't seem to be anything too special about it. Compared to Indo-Chinese, the food tastes a bit bland, but still is pretty good in its own original way. I particularly liked the sweet and sour shrimp, and the proportion of food was very good, and is just enough to fill your stomach. Personally, I wasn't terribly impressed with the ice-cream, and would prefer to stick with regular flavors like vanilla/chocolate, and save my green tea to be served steaming hot in a mug. We all ordered different dishes, and looking at the menu, I would admit, there are alot of different items to choose from, in fact, more than I have seen in most Chinese restaurants.

If you are in the neighborhood, and craving some Chinese, feel free to drop in, as you get a decent bang for your buck.

Service: 4/5
Ambiance/Location: 3/5
Food Quality: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment